Skip to main content

Smile

It’s a shame that most of us could hardly learn from our mistakes. We always prefer to prolong the agony instead of patching things up as early as we could. We end up regretting our impulsive actions yet we still do nothing. Indeed, life is complicated but what makes it so is because of the choices we made wrong unintentionally or most of the time because of our pride; we also tend to lie instead of practicing honesty.

Years ago, I’ve got hooked up in a situation where I was blinded by hatred and I was too afraid to face the facts that were waiting for me. So, I ran away from it rather than clearing things out to end the conflict. I never wanted to admit by then that I made a mistake as well. Early this summer only that I realized that it was me all along who made the very big mistake. But then, things changed and I couldn’t just approach the person immediately and say sorry.


Now, it’s even harder than I thought, so I kept praying; telling God how sorry I am for being so narrow-minded, immature, egoistic and everything, and that I regretted what I did. I told Him everything that was deep inside me hoping He could share it to the very person whom I’ve sinned and wishing I’ll be given the chance to make things right. And then, God proved me once again how powerful a prayer is when He listened to me for the nth time. That was when the tour entered the picture.


If it hadn’t been for the rain, I wouldn’t have something to ponder on that is quite personal to me during the tour. Weird as it may seem, I kind of hate and love the idea of the big droplets of water pouring from the grayish clouds during that day. Just like the other people, I’ve hated the rain for sabotaging the activity, for missing the chance to be in places I’ve never been, and for being stuck up somewhere doing nothing while hoping I could just leave my bag at the corner and go play under the cold falling rain.

Heritage tour while raining in Fort San Pedro.
On the contrary, I also have to admit I’ve always loved everything about the rain. And what the rain have brought upon me that day makes me love it even more. She gave me the reason to do the things I wouldn’t dare to do so at normal circumstances. Even for a few seconds, I got a glimpse of the most heart-melting view among all that was there. That was when I caught that smile which was seemingly telling me to leave the past behind.

I thank those beautiful droplets so much for giving me that bit of a chance. It allowed me to be stuck up there and let me contain myself with such an overwhelming feeling from catching that particular sight. It just felt so good that it even made me think things through.


The tour was my passport, the rain was my cue and the smile was the chance I was waiting for all this time. Words aren’t enough for me to say how thankful I am to God for giving me this new hope. As for now, I believe that we’re on the verge of fixing the scratches we’ve made for each other. I knew in my heart that even if I could patch things up between us completely, it will never be the same again but at least I’ll have peace of mind now and I could tell this to myself: “I saw it, I took a picture and that deep inside me I know I’ll remember it forever.”

- M


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meleria's Sonnet

It seemed to be a new life at the time, You caught my attention unconsciously; I was in need, and you helped willingly, A unique bond grew and was pure as lime; You are the lyrics of the string’s rhyme, My dream’s exact epitome, shockingly; A magical sense exist swiftly, I was reluctant ‘cause it’s like a crime; And when He heard me, confusions came too; 'Guess I wasn’t ready at the time yet; All is said and done, what else could I do? Pain crushed me, and it seemed too hard to beat, Blade tears me when thud rose from the piano, Mind of hate, soul of love, heart of regret. - M

Sadly Missed, Lovingly Remembered

There were two persons who came to my life whom I barely know but both touched my life unexpectedly, shared a great secret to me and had left me the moment I needed them most. The only difference they have was that the first person promised to come back while the other one didn't say a word. I've been waiting for the first person to come back for almost half a decade but she never showed up, the only thing she had left me was a small Science Dictionary. I've been searching for her in the internet. I was young then that's why I couldn't remember her exact appearance. I lost her phone number and all I have was the name of the town where she came from, if only I could go there by myself then I would have done it a long time ago. The second one was the person who taught me to be strong, the person who said that there were still good things he found despite of my shortcomings, the person I thought would never leave me, and the person who made me change the

Obey

Why do you do what you do? For whom do you offer the things that you do? What is your primary concern when you make decisions? Can you imagine yourself doing something you don’t understand but you do it anyway out of obedience? I, myself, don’t fully understand the concept of obedience. It has been a constant struggle for me. However, the Bible is strewn with stories that teach us how to be obedient. Like Joseph for example. Joseph knew that he will be judged by others when he decided to obey God, when he chose to be with Mary. Yet he followed what God had instructed him to do. Despite the uncertainties and the struggles he and his bride might face, he trusted and obeyed God. A year ago, I was asked why I wanted to be an engineer. My answer at that time may not be wrong but the conversation showed me a new perspective. I was told that while my answer was for the right reasons, still, I should be doing the things that I do for a greater purpose. And that is for God’s glory